Saturday, March 15, 2014

Sausage and Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

     So I learned something new about quinoa a couple of weeks ago that was not included in my last post about how awesome quinoa is, so I have to share it with you today. Quinoa is one of the ONLY TWO plants in the whole world that is a complete protein. All other complete protein sources come from either animal products of combinations of more than one plant source. The only other plant in the world that is considered to be a complete protein is soy, and trust me, we all get enough soy, GMO or not.
     Ever since I started cooking with portobellos I have become OBSESSED. I can't stop eating them, and they're following me. Into restaurants and into my catering job. Mushrooms are my new love. They're like the steaks of the plant kingdom. But I also love me some meat, so I thought I'd spice it up (literally) this week with the Portobello recipe!

SAUSAGE AND QUINOA STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
(serves 4)

Ingredients:
-4 Portobello mushrooms (rinsed, gills intact)
-1 c. cooked quinoa
-1/4 bell pepper, diced
-1/2 c. baby spinach, chopped
-1/4 yellow onion, diced
-1/2 lb. hot turkey sausage
-1/2 c. panko
-1 tbsp. italian herb blend or herbs de provence (my fave!)
-1 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. pepper
-1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1 clove (or cube) garlic
-4 slices provolone cheese

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease a casserole pan or cookie sheet
3. Heat large skillet on med-high heat, add olive oil
4. brown turkey sausage (separate into small pieces like ground beef)
5. add onion, bell pepper, salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper, herbs, and spinach
6. sautee until onions are transluscent
7. remove from heat, put into mixing bowl, and allow to cool, stirring, for 10 minutes
8. Add panko and egg
9. Place rinsed portobellos head down in the baking dish
10. Stuff with quinoa mixture
11. bake for 18 minutes
12. top with cheese, bake 3 more minutes

     We had ours with "Immaculate" brand crescent rolls, which can be found right next to regular crescent rolls! They are 100% organic and make with top ingredients!

No comments:

Post a Comment