Monday, February 24, 2014

Running Sucks

     I'm so serious when I say I am the girl who will never run a mile in her life. Have y'all seen Zombie Land? One of my all time favorite movies. Unfortunately, the first rule for living in a post apocalyptic, zombie infested world is CARDIO. Even though I'm doubtful about Zombie's running skills, I'm pretty sure I would die. Just cause, well, I don't run.
     I don't really understand why I can't run. Trust me, I've tried. I've had people try to show me how to run. I've tried running short distances. Just something about it, as I'm sure many of you can relate, SUCKS. I have mad respect for runners, because its just something I will never be able to do. I can do Zumba for 3 hours straight and feel great afterward, but put me on a track and make me run a half a mile and I will feel like crap for hours!
     But there is good news for people like me. Just because running isn't my thing does not mean that my weight loss journey has been hindered. In fact, I think it may be just the opposite. While studies show that H.I.I.T. (High Intensity Interval Training) is the most effective method of fat loss, the second most effective method is L.I.S.S. (Low Intensity Steady State) training. If you'd like to maximize your fat loss efforts, a combination of both training methods is recommended. 
     The heart rate zone for H.I.I.T. training falls somewhere between 75-85% of your MAXIMUM heart rate. This is sprinting, running stairs, etc. L.I.S.S. training aims to achieve heart rates between 65-75% of your maximum heart rate for extended periods of time (usually about 45 minutes). To calculate your personal heart rate target range simply subtract your age from 220, then multiply by .65 and .75, this will give you the range in which you should keep your heart rate during L.I.S.S. training.
     Depending on your body mass index and your genetic structure, our bodies burn energy at different rates. For the most part though, when we elevate our heart rate, through exercise, to about 65-75% of maximum output, we burn through the energy stored in our cells as glycogen, within about 20 to 25 minutes. The time spent exercising after this initial period is the ideal time for fat cells to be broken down for extra energy. This is why I love L.I.S.S. I don't have to run, but I can burn fat!



My favorite L.I.S.S. exercises:
-Cycling
-Walking UPHILL (maximum elevation on treadmill) at 3.5-4.3 MPH
-Elliptical
-Walking my dog
-Swimming laps
-Slow stair master


    If you hate running and that's why you don't exercise, its time to change your perspective on the word exercise. You do not have to push yourself to extreme limits to achieve your goals. Take it from me, I've lost 36 pounds and I've never "gone for a run", ever. I never will. Take a little extra time out of your day and hit the gym for an hour of L.I.S.S. cardio. Your body and brain will thank you. You will feel so much better, I swear it. Post up on the TV treadmills and catch up on your show or bring your favorite magazine to the bike machine. You'll be amazed at the amount of calories you can burn just by slowing down and extending your workouts a bit!

1 comment: